A delicious, easy-to-make salad that has it all!
Don’t you just love simple, easy-to-make salads with fresh ingredients? They are the best way to eat your veggies!
And when they’re as filling as this one and they can become a balanced meal on their own, what more can we ask for?
I’ve always liked beets. Yes, even as a child. I belong to this small category of people who have always liked vegetables even in their childhood. (I believe there are more people out there… I’m not the only one, am I?) The sweet taste of beets and their colorful presence in any salad is one of my favorites. And even though they pair well with most green, leafy vegetables, arugula is hands down their best companion.
Its distinct smell and the slightly bitter taste balance out the sweetness of the beets. Together with feta cheese and balsamic vinegar, they make this salad the perfect dish for anyone who likes sweet-and-salty tastes.
Garlic and beets? Well, they’re just meant to be together! I use them in many salads and dip recipes and they never disappoint. If you don’t like garlic that much, you can squeeze it in a garlic press instead of chopping it and add it to the dressing. Or you can use garlic powder instead which has a much milder taste.
This salad has everything you could ask for! A leafy vegetable, something sweet, a little color, something crunchy, a little protein, something spicy and a dressing as simple as it gets.
Shall we make it?
Arugula salad with beets and feta cheese
What you need:
• 2 cups arugula
• 4 small beetroots, boiled, skinned and sliced
• ¼ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
• 1/3 cup feta cheese, diced
• 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
For the dressing:
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
What to do:
– Place arugula, beets, walnuts and garlic in a large bowl. Add salt and gently stir.
– In a small bowl mix together the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over the salad and stir.
– Add the feta cheese on top and serve. Avoid stirring your salad after adding the feta cheese because the beets will color it.