The easy, quick and delicious way to get your veggie servings!
I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for a while now.
But life got in the way.
And it’s in the habit of doing that a lot lately…
But that’s how life is, right? No matter what we do or how much we plan, we can never know what tomorrow will bring. That’s why we should always cherish every last drop of today.
Don’t worry; I won’t go on with that! I’ll spare you the rest of my existential and philosophical thoughts and go straight to the recipe.
Whether you’re a vegetable lover – like me! – or a hater – like my kids… – I think you’re going to want to try this recipe. It’s easy, quick and it’s made with simple vegetables that most of us usually include in our shopping list. Spinach, zucchini, carrots and green onions.
What’s very convenient with these vegetables is that you can easily use their frozen versions. Especially for zucchini, which is a vegetable I like using in many of my recipes. At the end of summer and the beginning of autumn I always make sure to freeze some fresh ones so that I can use them when they’re out of season. And grated zucchini is the only form in which we can freeze it. If we try to freeze it whole or sliced, its high content in water will make it soft and unusable once it’s thawed.
Needless to repeat that we always opt for the fresh versions when they are available. And if we can choose organic and locally-grown, even better!
Those baked vegetable patties make a perfect match with some of our favorite dips and sauces like guacamole and, of course, Greek tzatziki. You can find the recipe for my authentic Greek tzatziki and two nice variations of it here:
I also like serving them with pitas or whole wheat tortillas and – why not? – more fresh vegetables!
So, let’s get to the kitchen and get them ready in no time!
Baked Vegetable Patties
What you need:
- 3 cups spinach leaves, chopped (fresh or frozen*)
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- ¼ cup favorite herbs, chopped (I use oregano, thyme, dill and spearmint.)
- ½ cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper
What to do:
*If you use frozen spinach, make sure you thaw it completely and squeeze out all water before you chop it.
– Put the shredded zucchini in a bowl, add a little salt and let it stand for 20 minutes. Then squeeze it to remove any excess moisture.
– Preheat the oven at 400°F / 200°C.
– In a large bowl mix all ingredients and stir until they are well combined.
– Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
– Form the mix into medium-size patties and place them on the sheet.
– Bake them for 25-30 minutes, flipping them over halfway.
– Let them cool slightly and serve them with tzatziki, guacamole or your own favorite dressing.