A good-for-you chocolate temptation that you don’t need to resist!
I’ll begin this post with a “bad” word…
Sinful for some, prohibited for others and totally out-of-the-question for people who are currently on a diet.
I can picture the terrified expression on the face of some of you who decided first thing this morning to go on a strict diet and forget about any sweet temptation in order to look even just a bit better in their beachwear. Because it’s the first day of June. And for some people, this could mean only one thing: Panic!
But restrictions never work in the long run. I understand that summer is a season that makes most of us a little bit more self-conscious of our appearance and we want to fix flaws as soon as possible. But if we don’t make long-lasting changes, how can we expect to have long-lasting results? So what are we going to do? Decide that we will never again allow ourselves to eat dessert? Seriously now, who wants to live without chocolate for the rest of their lives?
I know I don’t. And being a little rebellious at heart, I’ve always loved this saying:
This, of course, is the other end of the spectrum. And if we want to be serious about healthy eating, we know this is definitely not the way to deal with the sweet-loving rebel inside our heads. There are ways to please this side of ourselves, enjoy dessert once in a while and still follow a healthy eating plan without jeopardizing our weight or our health. You just need to follow some simple guidelines.
– Plan a meal once in a while with one of your favorite desserts. In a sensible portion and accompanied by a day of balanced meals. Make sure you don’t turn the opportunity into an excuse to eat mindlessly all day.
– Eat only homemade desserts. Store-bought candies and packaged sweets should already be in your list of foods not-worth-eating.
– Whenever possible, try to tame your sweet cravings with fruit. Spring and summer make this so easy with all the juicy options they have to offer. Like this bowl of sweet cherries for example.
Or a handful of fresh, bright-red strawberries.
– Finally, try to choose desserts that are good for you. If you’re going to give in to the temptation, why not nourish your body at the same time with highly nutritious ingredients?
Thankfully, chocolate is already one, with its rich content in iron, magnesium, potassium and antioxidants. But what if we pair it with avocado in a rich, creamy pudding?
All the benefits of chocolate – like satisfying our incurable love for it! – plus all the healthy fats of avocado. This is one chocolate dessert that we can surely afford to give in to! If you want to add extra sweetness, you can add a tablespoon of nutella. Provided you can trust your self-discipline with such a jar in the house…
Easy to make, with simple ingredients, a really light but creamy texture and perfect for the summer months. Enjoy it together with your favorite kind of berries. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, they all make the perfect pair for your pudding!
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
What you need:
- 1 big ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 3.5 oz / 100 gr. dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3-5 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- (optional) 1 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spreading (like nutella)
What to do:
– Melt the chocolate using the bain-marie method (hot water bath). Let it cool for 10 minutes.
– Put all the ingredients but the milk in a food processor and blend until smooth.
– Add milk according to your desired consistency and blend.
– You can refrigerate for 30 minutes or eat it at once.
– Serve with your favorite berries and enjoy!