Chicken nuggets at their healthier best! Can you resist them?
Chicken nuggets has always been my kids’ favorite fast food choice. It’s probably the only thing they have ever ordered in a fast food restaurant the very few times we have visited one. They have never actually tried one of their burgers! I was probably lucky enough to have made them “addicted” to my own homemade healthy burgers early in their childhood years.
With chicken nuggets it was a little bit different. Homemade ones would definitely be healthier but they would still be deep-fried. And I generally try to avoid deep-frying except for the occasional potatoes. So, I was trying to come up with a healthier baked version that would be just as crunchy and tender at the same time. It took me a while but I finally made the ones that could satisfy my children’s demanding taste buds!
Delicious chicken nuggets with a yummy chicken breast filling and a crispy crust with crunchy corn flakes and Parmesan cheese!
These chicken nuggets may not be very fast but they definitely are food! Real food! Without ingredients of unknown quality and origin. And, most importantly, not dipped in totally unhealthy oils used by fast food restaurants for frying, which are rich in trans fats and highly harmful. These crispy and delicious chicken nuggets can be made at home, in your own kitchen, with simple ingredients and can be cooked in the oven, healthfully, with no unnecessary fats and only with 45 calories each! These chicken nuggets will become everyone’s favorite from the very first bite!
Crispy baked chicken nuggets
What you need:
For the chicken mixture:
• ½ kg (18 oz.) minced chicken breast
• 1 egg
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ½ tsp curry
• Salt and pepper
• 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
• 1/3 cup corn flakes
• 1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
What to do:
– Prepare the mixture for panning. Crush the corn flakes (see instructions in tips) and mix in a bowl with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
– In a different bowl prepare the chicken mixture. Mix all the ingredients and add salt and pepper.
– Preheat the oven to 220° C / 430° F and line a pan with parchment paper.
– Using the chicken mixture, make small nuggets and dip them into the panning mix. Make sure they are well-covered.
– Lay them on the baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Turn them once in between.
– To crush the corn flakes, all you need is one plastic food bag. You put the corn flakes in and you press the bag with your hands. There’s no need to use a food processor and over-crush them, turning them into flour. Coarsely-crushed corn flakes will result in crispier nuggets. And you won’t have to wash the food processor!
– The chicken mixture will be sticky. Do not add more flour because your nuggets will turn out dry and not very soft on the inside. In order to handle the mixture more easily, you can use cooking gloves but if you don’t have any, no worries! Just use a bowl of water. Every two to three nuggets, dip your hands in the water before you continue.
– If you want your nuggets to taste even more like deep-fried ones, you can sprinkle them with some vegetable oil before you bake them. But try them without first! They are both so crispy outside and fluffy on the inside, that you probably won’t need to!
– And finally, the most important tip! Eat them while they’re warm! And share them with somebody you love!