A ridiculously fast but amazingly delicious summer recipe!
Summer is supposed to be a stress-free season. A time for fun.
With long walks on the beach, endless reading hours by the calming sound of the sea waves and lots of free time to play with children and awaken the kid inside us again.
That’s why cooking needs to be fast. Who wants to spend their summer in the kitchen?
What else do we need our summer recipes to be like?
How about easy? We don’t have time to watch videos and make multiple trials in order to make it work. We need fool-proof, piece-of-cake recipes. (No pun intended, really!)
And they have to be light, don’t they? Summer heat does not call for heavy sauces and fatty ingredients. Fresh vegetables and lean proteins are the first things that come to mind when planning a meal.
Last but not least, they have to be delicious as always. Just because we want them quick, it doesn’t mean we have to negotiate with taste, right?
Today’s recipe has it all! An easy noodles stir-fry with summer vegetables and chicken. Ready in minutes! Perfect for a quick family dinner on a Friday night!
I usually make this delicious stir-fry when I have some leftover chicken in the fridge. But even if you don’t, no worries. You can easily steam or roast half a chicken breast while preparing the rest of the ingredients. Or cut it into really thin pieces and throw it in your wok first. Or you can completely skip the chicken and make this a wonderful vegetarian dish.
Here’s how easy it is. You just heat some olive oil or sesame oil in a wok and add your diced vegetables and herbs.
You slightly stir for 3 minutes until they start to become tender and you add the seasoned chicken. You let them cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally while you prepare the noodles.
You add the noodles and the parmesan, stir well and serve.
That was it! You can also garnish with sesame if you like.
Feel free to adjust the quantities of the vegetables and the chicken according to your own liking. Also, you can try it with any kind of noodles you like. I usually choose wheat ones with added turmeric, but I’ve also tried it with plain wheat and with rice ones. Perfect every time!
Easy noodles stir-fry
What you need:
- 1 pack noodles (wheat or rice, 16 oz / 450 gr)
- Half a chicken breast, roasted or steamed
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium red peppers
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1/3 cup olive oil or sesame oil
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
- (optional) 1 tsp turmeric (for the noodles’ preparation)
For serving: Extra parmesan cheese, freshly-ground pepper and/or sesame seeds
What to do:
– Dice the chicken and the vegetables.
– Heat the olive or sesame oil in a non-stick wok over medium heat.
– Add the diced vegetables, oregano and thyme and stir for 3 minutes until they start getting tender.
– Season the chicken with curry, salt and pepper and add it to the wok.
– Let it cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
– Meanwhile prepare your noodles according to the package instructions. (They usually need about 3-4 minutes.) If you want, you can add 1 tsp of turmeric to the boiling water for extra color and aroma.
– Add the cooked noodles and the parmesan to the wok and stir well.
– Serve with extra parmesan, freshly-ground pepper and/or sesame.