A simple, Mediterranean potato salad with Mexican tastes added.
Before we get down to this delicious recipe, there’s one question I need to ask you.
Have you watched the film “The Martian”?
We did, a couple of weeks ago. And I think it’s a nice movie, even though it got lots of bad criticism, mostly as a science fiction movie with little respect to science. But this wasn’t a classical sci-fi film but also a survival one and when watched from this spectrum, I think it didn’t deserve such awful reviews.
But enough with the movie trivia. You’re probably wondering what the Martian has to do with my potato salad. Well, without any intention of revealing parts of the plot to you (I hate spoilers!), I’ll just say that there should be one more thing added to the cast list of this movie: Potatoes!
If you’re a huge potato-fan, two things can happen after watching this movie. You’re either going to hate them or you’ll love them even more to the point of considering them critical for your own survival! The latter is what sort of happened to us. So, the next day, we were facing a potato crisis in our kitchen…
We just HAD to eat potatoes.
After rejecting the French fries option, we settled for a much healthier one. Potato salad.
And what does a classic Greek potato salad consist of? Usually, boiled potatoes, onions, olives, lemon juice, parsley, olive oil and sometimes tomatoes.
And then there was the option for a salad of German origins loaded with mayonnaise.
That second one was much more closer to what the rest of the family had in mind…
But I didn’t…
I had to find a healthier alternative. So, I turned down the mayo and added avocado instead.
A couple of my favorite salad ingredients and a nice mustard dressing, and to give it a little more spiciness, a chopped jalapeno.
This salad is definitely a keeper. Not only is it loaded with favorite flavors and healthy fats from the avocado and the olives, it’s also one of those side dishes that almost gets prepared on its own! You just wrap two washed potatoes in aluminum foil, put them in the oven next to the roasting main dish, whatever that may be, and in less than an hour, they’re ready.
(If you like the idea, you can find another easy recipe for a salad / side dish here.)
You add the rest of the ingredients and there you have it!
A classic, Greek potato salad with a Mexican twist that leads to perfection!
Greek potato salad with a Mexican twist
What you need:
• 2 medium potatoes
• 1 avocado, cut in cubes
• 1 spring onion, chopped
• 4 small dill pickles, sliced
• 3 large black olives, pitted and sliced
• (optional) 1 medium jalapeno pepper, chopped
For the dressing:
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 tbsp yellow mustard
What to do:
– Preheat the oven at 400°F / 200°C.
– Wash the potatoes. Using a sharp, pointed knife make a shallow cut on their skin, vertical or horizontal. This will help you peel them easier once they are cooked.
– Wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them for approximately 40 minutes.
– Alternatively you can boil them in water for about half an hour.
– Let the potatoes cool. Peel their skin off and cut them in cubes.
– Place them in a salad bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and stir gently until they mix well.
– In a small bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients.
– Add it to your salad and serve.