The perfect base for delicious, homemade burgers!
Are you a bread-lover who can’t resist freshly-baked, homemade bread?
Do you consciously choose the full taste of multigrain baked goods because you are aware of the great benefits of whole grains? You’re going to love this post!
On the other hand, if you’re happy with the store-bought burger buns with the foam-like texture, then this recipe is probably not for you. Although I would advise you to try it just once. You just might discover new ways to satisfy your bread-enjoying palate.
In our home we rarely eat store-bought bread. We just can’t stand its texture and the health-oriented brain of the house (that’s me) gets scared by the long ingredient lists with the hard-to-pronounce names. We prefer to make our own bread with less and simpler ingredients (easier said and digested), and so much more delicious! And… ahem… so much more difficult to resist, but let’s consider this a good exercise for our self-control, right?
These are the buns I make for my homemade chicken burgers that my daughters absolutely love! And because I make them quite often, I’ve recruited the breadmaker to help! If you don’t have one, you can knead the dough by hand like you would do with any other bread dough. Or you can invest in a good breadmaker which, – believe me! – will become one of your greatest assistants in the kitchen.
Those buns – which never last more than a day in our house! – are loaded with all the great benefits of whole grains. How could they not be when they are made from five different kinds of flour! Yep, five! Bread flour, whole wheat flour, corn flour, oat flour and flaxseed flour. The last two are made in my kitchen with the help of the blender.
So, if you’ve been craving homemade burgers for a while and you needed a different kind of bun to make them, let’s get started! All you have to do is add all the ingredients (see full recipe below) in the breadmaker and set it to a dough cycle. After 75-90 minutes, depending on your bread machine, you’ll have a nice, soft dough that you will cut in 10 equal pieces and gently form them in little hamburger buns.
Another half-an-hour wait for them to fully rise and you can get them ready for the oven!
You follow the baking instructions below and soon your kitchen smells like bakery and your burger ingredients can’t wait to join those freshly-baked buns!
Multi-grain breadmaker burger buns
What you need:
• 200 ml water
• 200 ml milk
• 1 large egg
• 1 tbsp butter, melted
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 ½ tbsp brown sugar
• 1 ½ cup bread flour*
• 1 cup whole wheat flour*
• 1 cup corn flour*
• 1 cup oat flour*
• 1 cup flaxseed flour*
• 1 ½ tsp dry yeast
For the eggwash topping:
• 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp water
• (optional) Sesame seeds and/or sunflower seeds or any other seeds you like
*Notes on the flours
– You can make oat flour and flaxseed flour yourself using your blender or a grain mill to grind oats and flaxseed to flour.
– The flour quantities can be changed according to taste as long as the complete flour quantity remains the same (5 ½ cups). Also, the bread flour would rather be more than the rest, in order for your buns to rise better.
What to do:
– Add all the ingredients in your breadmaker in the order listed above, sprinkling the yeast on top of the flours at the end.
– Set your breadmaker to a dough cycle. (It usually lasts 75-90 minutes.)
– Prepare a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
– When the cycle is finished, put your dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a log. Cut the log in 10 pieces and gently form each one into a bun.
– Place the buns on the lined baking pan and let them rise for 30 minutes in a warm place.
– Preheat the oven at 400°F / 200°C. Place a pan half-filled with water at the lower part of your oven. This will keep moisture in the oven and make your buns softer.
– Brush the buns with the eggwash and sprinkle the seeds on top. Bake them for 20-25 minutes.
Make sure you have your burger ingredients ready! You don’t want to miss the chance to eat a steamy, freshly-baked, homemade burger, do you?
And those chicken burgers that I mentioned? I’ll soon have the recipe for you!