When a favorite summer vegetable meets chocolate in a muffin pan…
Do you think it’s too much of an indulgence?
Did I go too far with satisfying a chocolate craving? Is triple too much?
Ok, I’m guilty. But think about it. Is there such a thing as too much chocolate?
Especially when it’s dark, which means full of health benefits?
And paired with a favorite in-season vegetable?
Creating a fluffy, moist, chocolate muffin with only 170 calories and less than 6 grams of fat!
I think I just managed to defend myself for the “triple” crime, didn’t I?
These muffins are the result of many years of experiments. Back in my early parenting years, while still developing my vegetable-hiding cooking skills, I was thrilled to have discovered zucchini muffins. I could actually hide one of my favorite summer vegetables in a treat that my picky eaters would eat right away. No second thoughts, no questions asked!
Ever since then, my love for muffins grew bigger and my baking skills better. And the simple zucchini muffins of the past have been turned into a highly nutritious chocolate treat. Lots of goodness in them! Greek yogurt, whole wheat flour, dark chocolate and, of course, zucchini. A vegetable not very much appreciated as many people consider it of low nutritional value. But the truth is that zucchini is an ideal summer vegetable, low in calories and high in water. It is a very good source of potassium and Vitamin C. And it can be used in numerous recipes, some of which I am about to share with you in the following weeks.
Because, yes, I admit it.
It’s zucchini season in my kitchen!
I started a few days ago with the easiest stir-fry recipe you could possibly make. (Have a look here if you missed it.)
But the young ones in the family were asking for chocolate muffins.
How could I refuse? What kind of a mom would that make me?
Triple chocolate zucchini muffins it is then!
Triple chocolate zucchini muffins
What you need:
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup melted dark chocolate
- ¼ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups grated zucchini
What to do:
– Preheat the oven at 400°F / 200°C. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or line with muffin liners.
– In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
– In the bowl of a standing mixer, in medium speed, beat together the egg and sugar for one minute. Add the melted chocolate, yogurt and vanilla and beat for one more minute.
– Reduce speed to low and add the buttermilk and the flour mixture alternately. Beat until all the ingredients are incorporated.
– Fold in the zucchini and the chocolate chips using a spatula.
– Divide the batter in the muffin tin cups and bake for 30-35 minutes. Use a toothpick to make sure the centers are set.
– Let them cool for 10 minutes in the pan. If you need to, use a knife to help you remove them from the pan. Enjoy them warm or place them on a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
If you make them, don’t forget to let me know how you liked them. And if you have any other favorite zucchini recipes, please share your suggestions in the comments below.